Sunday, February 28, 2021

Mass vaccination centres open in Laval starting Thursday Feb. 25

The Centre intégré de santé et de services sociaux (CISSS) de Laval says it will begin COVID-19 vaccination of Laval residents aged 85 and...

Careless candle use blamed for minor Laval-des-Rapides fire

A small fire that broke out in a 16-unit apartment building on Laval Blvd. in the city’s Laval-des-Rapides sector during the late afternoon Thursday has been blamed on the negligent use of a candle.

According to the Laval Fire Department, they received a call about the blaze around 5:15 pm on Oct. 1 and were on the scene at the building located between Saint-Martin and Souvenir boulevards in around three minutes time.

Upon arrival of seven LFD firefighting units for a total of 21 firefighters, there didn’t seem to be a major fire underway. However, an immediate evacuation of the building was ordered all the same, and as many as 20 people came out.

In a basement apartment, the firemen found the source of the problem: a candle that was still burning but reaching its base and which was about to set off a major fire.

Just past 5:20 pm, the fire was declared under control and the evacuees were told they could return to their apartments.

Martin C. Barry
Martin C. Barryhttp://www.lavalnews.ca
Local Journalism Initiative Reporter for the Laval News. During his 23 years of covering political and community issues in the Montreal region, Marty has won numerous journalism awards from the Quebec Community Newspapers Association for written coverage as well as for photography. marty@newsfirst.ca

Related Articles

Weather

Latest Articles